of creation

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

tattoo as an art form

On Sunday, September 10, I was introduced to a new city. Boston. Normally when my friends want to go on road trips, they would always suggest Boston. I am so in love with New York City that I felt it wasn't right. Red Sox vs. Yankees, obnoxious accents, what was there for me to love in Boston?

Rewind to October 1, 2001. The day I turned 18. I went to a professional piercing studio to get a piercing. While I was waiting for my piercer to get things ready, I browsed the portfolios of the tattoo artists. It was all new to me, as the only people in my family who have tattoos are my grandfathers. They had gotten them when they were in the army and always hated them. Whenever I questioned the art on their bodies, they would grumble, complain, and tell us to never make the same mistakes they did. In that little piercing/tattoo shop in Greenville, North Carolina I fell in love with a new art.

I found out that a tattoo convention was going on in Boston, from September 8-10. I called my friend and we made a day trip.

I could not believe all the different people who were there. There were people ranging from 18 to 88 years old, all there for the same reasons. I walked around browsing in the artists' different portfolios. There were so many different styles. Some were old school (Sailor Jerry style stuff), some were nature oriented, and a few were portrait artists. They held contests for different tattoos & gave prizes. I was mesmerized by how beautiful everything was.

Obviously there were a few tattoos that I didn't like, but it was so nice to see people placing art on their bodies that will last forever. Many of the tattoos that were being done were hand drawn by the artists. I saw a few artists drawing directly on the bodies with marker, and then tattooing over that.

I also met a sideshow performer, who is transforming himself into a lizard. Not only is he using his transformation as performance art, he also does side show tricks.

As we were driving home, I sat in the car re-thinking our day. You have the artists, creating their art, and then you have the people who have the finished tattoos. It is like having a mobile gallery, across the country, all the time. Does that even make sense?

Earlier this year I missed the chance to go to the New York City Tattoo Convention, but I'll definitely be there for 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home